In 2013 the effort to improve the external image of the institution continued. INESC-ID has organized and participated in several events of high visibility, such as:
- Open visits to INESC-ID, within the participation in the JEEC2013 – Jornadas da Engenharia Electrotécnica do IST;
- Participation in The European Researchers Night, with the research groups of the Interactive Intelligent Systems research area. Presentations of researchers Prof. Ana Paiva (Queres ser meu amigo?), Prof. Luísa Coheur and Prof. Isabel Trancoso (SPRINTALKs) and also demos in the building atrium of the Knowledge Pavilion
- Participation in the SET (technology entrepreneurship week) with the workshop “Interactive Robotic characters” given by Tiago Ribeiro, from the GAIPS research group;
- The DataStorm research project organized a workshop to present its goals with distinguished presentations from leaders of key related initiatives at the European level. The event took place at the IST Taguspark Campus on July;
- Ciência Viva summerships, coordinated by Prof. Moisés Piedade, were a success. About 30 high school students spent some days at Taguspark, with the goal of assembling race cars
These events/exhibitions allow not only a closer relation between INESC-ID and other scientific organizations, but also an important promotion of our activities near the general public and companies. These activities help to strength important connections in order to improve technology transference.
Besides the high impact exhibitions, INESC-ID also promoted external visits, mostly from other organizations and groups of external researchers or students from abroad.
Prof. Peter Staeker visited INESC-ID, as part of his visit to Portugal, in September. The goals of this visit, which was coordinated by the IEEE Portugal Section, were to understand the IEEE role in the country, as well as to establish solid bridges between IEEE members and the universities, research institutions and companies in Portugal.
Members of the MITI, Ministério das Tecnologias de Informação, from Angola, also visited INESC-ID, in April. Some presentations and demos were prepared for this event.
We also welcomed a serbian comittee, within a project about technology transfer, in July. The purpose of this visit also involved our startup companies.
We also promoted the participation in initiatives with the goal of gathering different research groups allowing researchers to interact in different and relaxed environments. We participated in the Bike to Work Day, an initiative with the purpose to motivate people to come to work by bike