In the 2013 year the institution has worked hard to fulfill its mission. Our research is now quite visible at an international level, and its quality is recognized.
INESC-ID has also been involved, at an institutional level, in the establishment and development of the training activities in the context of the Portugal-CMU and the Portugal-MIT programs.
Among the most significant achievements, we would like to highlight the following activities:
- To continue and expand the set-up of inter-disciplinary projects; The exceptional quality of the publications of INESC-ID researchers has been recognized in 2013 with several best paper awards, in national and international conferences;
- The organization of the conferences Mobacc2013, the International Workshop on Information Technology for Energy Application (IT4Energy) and InForum, that required the participation and the effort of the institution as a whole;
- The success of the six INESC-ID startup companies. Three of them (Coreworks, VoiceInteraction and PetSys) were created in early years as a result of a very significant technology transference. In 2009 there is also the participation in a fourth startup company, NWC, a highly innovative company in the implementation and development of specific social and network applications. In 2010 SiliconGate, a start- up that operates in the field of microelectronics and develops and licenses high performance power management blocks that are key elements in any mobile equipment; The newest participation is HeartGenetics. HeartGenetics genotyping technology is based on a DNA MICROCHIP that can include all genetic variants that have been proved to be the main cause of a specific cardiac genetic disease. Genotyping is achieved through a high-throughput and high accurate DNA Microchip platform optimized for genetic analysis using an iPlex MassArray system.
- The increasing in scientific productivity results in about 105 international journal papers, and more than 300 communications in international conferences. Morevover, about 27 PhD theses were finished in 2013;
- From a total of 20 research projects that started in 2013, 5 have received European funds and 15 are supported by national funding (FCT). In 2013 there were a total of 76 research projects ongoing (17 European, 1 managed by ADI and 58 funded by FCT);
We have put some effort in order to promote technology transfer through the participation of the mentioned startups, but also to support the invention registration through patents and the increase of industry research contracts. The reason we are focusing considerable effort in such activities is that as an institution of excellence we know how important is the funding diversity to motivate researchers and put forward their results expectations.
Besides the competitive national and international funding we expect to create our own revenues to add value for what we do best: develop tomorrow?s technologies by excelling in research, today