In the 2014 year the institution has worked hard to fulfill its mission. Our research is now quite visible at an international level, and its quality is recognized.
INESC-ID has also been involved, at an institutional level, in the establishment and development of the training activities developed in the context of the Portugal-CMU and the Portugal-MIT programs.
Among the most significant achievements, we would like to highlight the following activities:
- The exceptional quality of the publications of INESC-ID researchers has been recognized in 2014 with several best paper awards, in national and international conferences;
- The organization of the conferences DILS2014, EUSIPCO2014, DIHC2014, and the training events TRUDEVICE, LxLMS, DataStorm Summer School and the Reaction workshop that required the participation and the effort of the institution as a whole;
- The success of the previous INESC-ID startup companies. Three of them (Coreworks, VoiceInteraction and PetSys) were created in early years as a result of a very significant technology transference. In 2009 there is also the participation in a fourth startup company, NWC, a highly innovative company in the implementation and development of specific social and network applications. In 2010 SiliconGate, a start-up that operates in the field of microelectronics and develops and licenses high performance power management blocks that are key elements in any mobile equipment. Other recent participation is HeartGenetics. HeartGenetics genotyping technology is based on a DNA MICROCHIP that can include all genetic variants that have been proved to be the main cause of a specific cardiac genetic disease. Genotyping is achieved through a high-throughput and high accurate DNA Microchip platform optimized for genetic analysis using an iPlex MassArray system;
- A new startup emerged in 2014: Magnomics. This biotech start-up is focused on delivering the next generation of fully portable in-vitro molecular diagnostic devices. The basis of its novel and proven technology was transferred from INESC-ID and INESC-MN and is based on an on-chip DNA extraction, amplification and magnetic detection. INESC-ID has now seven startup companies.
- The increasing in scientific productivity results in about 139 international journal papers, and more then 266 communications in international conferences. Moreover, about 19 PhD theses were finished in 2014;
- From a total of 23 research projects that started in 2014, 2 have received European funds and 12 are supported by national funding (FCT). In 2014 there were a total of 75 research projects ongoing (14 European, 1 managed by ADI, 38 funded by FCT, and 22 bilateral contracts);
We have put some effort in order to promote technology transfer through the participation of the mentioned startups, but also to support the invention registration through patents and the increase of industry research contracts. The reason we are focusing considerable effort in such activities is that as an institution of excellence we know how important is the funding diversity to motivate researchers and put forward their results expectations. Besides the competitive national and international funding we expect to create our own revenues to add value for what we do the best: develop tomorrow’s technologies by excelling in research, today.